Here at Chateau Du Savon we are always looking for ways to help our customers on their plastic free and zero waste journeys,
Soap nuts are a natural washing detergent that are sustainable grown on trees in India.
The Soapnut shells contain Saponins which, on contact with water, release mild suds and can be used as a sustainable alternative to laundry detergent in washing machines.
The soap nuts have been used as a washing detergent for hundreds of years in India and Nepal. Soap nuts have grown to be a popular alternative to traditional washing detergents as they are better for the environment and can be good for your skin.
- Pure and natural washing detergent that leaves your laundry fresh and clean
- Keeps your colours bright
- Allergy-free, good for your skin
- Acts as a sustainable washing detergent that is chemical free
- Cultivated through sustainable agriculture
- Ecological and economical compared to other brands of detergent
- Around 1kg of soapnuts can be used for more than 100 loads of laundry
- Works out cheaper than traditional washing detergents
- Indian soap nuts are a mild and soft cleansing method
How do I use the Soap Nuts ?
Place the nuts in the free drawstring bag you will receive, about 5 or 6 nuts at a time per wash. These can be used for multiple washes depending on the temperature.
Pop them in the bag, and close the drawstring, the bag should then go into the washing machine with the load as normal.
- Delicates, fabrics, wools all work well
- Temperatures up to 40 oC you can use the soap nuts 2 or 3 times
- 500g will last up to 120 washes
- Temperatures 60 to 95 oC you can use once only
- 500g will last approx 80 washes
- Hand Washing - add 5-10 shells and wash in with the clothes for hand washing
We buy the nuts in bulk, we package them in 250g and 500g weights in brown bags and secure them with a sticker.
We provide free cotton bags for the washing, but please feel free to use your own.